Saturday, February 18, 2012

Not so NICE


All that I have previously known about interior design I have gleaned from many hours spent in my recliner, reading books, while my wife watches HGTV.  One particular show that she likes to watch has couples searching for their perfect house.  As the couples are shown a house that they enjoy, they almost always reply with something similar to the following statements:

1.       “Wow! This is nice!”

2.       “This fire Place is nice”

3.       “I really like this kitchen, it’s a nice kitchen”

4.       “The bedroom has nice square footage”

These are just a few out of millions of responses from couples on this show that have highlighted, emphasized or suggested how nice something is.  In Sarah Suskana’s introduction on home design she mentions the lack of a common vocabulary to describe why a space feels like home.  I could think of no better example of this than my wife’s favorite TV show. 

The connection to education is one of vocabulary, when the teacher lacks the proper tools to describe an experience or fails to build a fundamental vocabulary related to an experience, then that experience will become extremely hard for the student to reproduce.  How could someone ever make a house feel like home if all they know is that home feels “nice”.

No comments:

Post a Comment