Sunday, February 12, 2012

My brother and his spoon


I’ve wanted to write something about how this class has affected how I am looking at the world around me.  I keep thinking of my brother who is an engineer.  Growing up he was always analyzing simple objects.  He would pick up a spoon at a diner and ask why it was shaped the way it was, what material was it made of and why and what are the decisions one makes when creating a spoon?  Of course I always thought he was kind of weird, a spoon is just a spoon. 

Now here I am asking these same questions about all manner of mundane objects.  How could that object be photographed to make it more interesting?  If I made a video of that hallway could I use it in an interesting video?  It has become a short term (hopefully) obsession the result of which is that I have begun to annoy myself in the same manner my brother used to.   

I am reminded of initial class discussion about art as an approach to learning.  I am starting to make strong connections between artistic approach and curiosity.  What teacher wouldn’t jump at the chance to make their students curious about the subject matter?  So I am seeing the importance of the artistic approach in the classroom. Keep in mind that this class is about the "nature and design of compelling experiences." With that in mind, I'd like you to focus your discussion about the Super Bowl Commercials on these two broad areas:

Nature: In what ways is the experience of this ad compelling or not? Focus on the experience and its qualities. In other words, what adjectives would you use to describe your experience during this 30-sec commercial. What were you feeling/thinking at the beginning, the middle, the end?

Design: How is the design of the ad related to your experience of the ad? What design choices have the creators made in creating the experience? The materials they work with include images, sounds, sequence, pace, timing, words, and so on. They are masterful at creating feelings that we associate with their product or idea. Consider the feelings/thinking you described above. What features of this commercial may have evoked them?

Post at least twice. Try not to post twice at the same time. Try to make it more like a natural discussion, if possible. Feel free to include links to other commercials to support your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment