Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Searching for a photo

     Think of this assignment as my first exposure to actual photography, my first real attempt to capture anything interesting with a camera.  First thing I noticed was the limitations of my actual camera which is your everyday run of the mill point and shoot, couple that with my lack of access to photo shop and I feel like I'm fairly limited in what I can capture. I set out this morning to take shots of an abandoned mine shaft that is up a dirt road hidden in the mountains, unfortunately the road was blocked so I settled for trying to get some compelling pictures of wildlife.  I came across some dear, a 30 strong herd of elk and a turkey hanging out on some ones porch. There were some very good opportunities here but the zoom on the camera would not allow me the type of shot I wanted.  I still haven't found a shot that I like as of yet. 
      The experience of searching for a compelling shot was amazing.  I have never thought of myself as a person who would enjoy photography, but as I took my time to really open up to new perspectives I found myself enjoying my surroundings that much more.  The process of getting the shot is what has been educational, not the shot itself.  In one hour of looking for a compelling shot I had experienced stalking an elk herd across an open field as well as gained the perspective of my pets by following them around on my belly.  To find interesting angles I had to move differently through my environment, enter into new environments, and think of the meaning of detail and uniqueness.  These changes in approach and perspective can easily be applied to a students approach to learning and how we (educators) can facilitate learning by changing the parameters of how students should interact with the tangible and intangible aspects of the subject at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment